Community Based Rehabilitation
History of CBR
Bangladesh Protibondhi Foundation (BPF) has been providing services to the children and adults with disability through home and centre based programme for more been experimentally proved through several research, was undoubtedly of high quality. However, it was based on the medical model/expert model – where disability conditions were diagnosed, clients were assessed by experts and interventions were prescribed by specialized people or experts (a top down approach). It has been realized that in a poor country like Bangladesh the needs of the large number of people living in the villages cannot be met by centres or institutions based on the expert model. For enhancing the quality of life of the people and children with disability by improving service delivery, by providing more equitable opportunities and by promoting and protecting their human rights BPF has gradually shifted from the medical model to a more social model and has started Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) programmes in different parts of the country more than two decade. The services has been extended to a large number of families of the disabled almost all over the country, even to the remotest villages. The services provided by BPF which has
- To disseminate the disability services at the root level
- Children become skill on Activities of Daily Life (ADL) according to their functional level.
- Children with disability of CBR area will be prepared and enrolled to enrol in mainstream and Inclusive School.
- Community people will be aware about disability and rehabilitation and a network will be established.
- To find out the prevalence rate of disability around the casement area.
- To follow-up training on therapeutic intervention for SV & CW.
- Families will be empowered to rehabilitate CWD in their community