The CBR programme was set up in the year 1998 in 4 villages in Savar 40 km from the Dhaka city. The community workers within the programmes has already been trained in early identification and screening of children with disability using simple techniques. They have learnt the management skills and capable of training parents and members of the families. The family members also learnt the management skills to a great extent. Awareness regarding health, education, nutrition and disability prevention has increased. But due to poverty of the people the level of community participation in terms of resource mobilization and income generation for the programme is still lacking. Due to poverty families cannot even sent their children without disability to any school. Based on the experience gathered during the past years and prioritizing the needs BPF has planned to achieve the following objectives by the end of year 2005.
- Ensuring health, education and survival rights of the children with disability and disadvantaged children.
- Resource mobilization.
- Mobilizing the parents and community for income generation.
Strategies to achieve the objective :
- Sentisizing the teacher, school management committee and staff of the mainstream schools for including children with disability in their programme.
- Developing partnership with the local NGO’s, industries, factories within the areas to make use and share with their facilities and resources for rehabilitation of children and people with disability.
- Influence the parents association and community members and plans on some income generation activities.
- Educating the children following the National Curriculum of the Text Book Board.
- Skill training (based on the local demand, ability of the individual child, need and requirement of the family).
- Physical Activities (games, physical exercises).
- Art activities (drawing, painting, craft work).
- Cultural activities (music, dance, drama).
Additional services : (as per requirement)
- Physical therapy.
- Speech and Communication.
- Regular health check-up.
- Nutritional programme
Special Activities :
- Cultural function
- Day observance
- Parents day.
Outcome Measures :
- Number of children included in the mainstream programme.
- Changes in the attitude of teacher and other staff in including children with disability.
- Activities planned and implemented for income generation.